Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Orientation Begins

Orientation started yesterday (June 16, 2009). I finally got to meet everyone from my group. There's about a total of 50 students all together, making a total of 5 groups (Gambia I, Gambia II, Ghana I, Ghana II, and Kenya). I and 9 other students fall under Gambia I. One thing I can't help but notice is the fact that there are so many girls! I'd say there's about a 1:5 ratio of boys to girls. Also another fact is that most of the people here are from West Point. Apparently West Point advertises Operation Crossroads Africa a lot.

So first day of orientation was all about getting to know the people within our group. We did many different group activities to build team work. There were seminars on what to expect from this program and a Q & A session which helped out alot. I now have a good understanding of what I got myself into... hehe

So apparently we're going to be spending 2 nights at a 5 star hotel in Banjul and will be travelling alot during the weekends. It's only in the weekdays that we'll be volunteering at the hospital. They make it sound like the program is really fun. We shall see... :D

Anyways, 2nd day of orientation is about to start so I shall update you guys later. Until next time...

P.S. I will be leaving the states on June 18, 2009 at 1:00 pm E.T.

2 comments:

  1. WHAT ARE YOU DOING UP AT 5:48 AM POSTING THINGS?!

    I'm glad that you're surrouneded by West Point students as they will probably be able to protect you, especially those girls (love a girl in a uniform).

    1:5?! You have NO EXCUSES, SIR!

    Have a safe flight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tehehehe i bet you're so excited that there are a lot of girls hahahahhaha U WOULD JOHN! YOU WOULD! :D

    ReplyDelete