Today was REALLY exciting! Orientation ended around 2 pm. We had a seminar informing us of the medical conditions that we should be aware of in Africa and all of the safety precautions that we should take when we are in Africa. This includes water contamination, diarhea, malaria, and many other diseases that are common in Africa. After orientation ended our group decided to go to Target to buy a few last minute items. I ended up buying some rain boots and a water bottle. :D
After Target, Heedeok (one of my fellow crossroader that I met) and I met up w/ Mary Feng (friend from highschool) in New York City. As soon as we walked into Time Square I was astonished by the bill boards. I've never seen so many advertisements in my life! Goodness! From the facebook pictures that my friends posted up, I never thought that New York was such an awesome city. As soon as I entered Time Square I could see why New York was such a popular place. We ended up meeting Jasmin (by random chance) and she gave us a nice tour of New York from China town, Little Strip of Italy, and to the Empire State Building. (Pictures will be posted up on facebook soon!)
We will be leaving New York on June 18, 2009 (9:00 am ish) to Washington D.C. and then from there we will be leaving around 4:00pm to Senegal in Africa. I will have internet access once I get settled in Africa. Apparently the air flight will take approximately 8 hours and the transportation (through driving and walking) will take approximately 14 hours to get to our destination - Gambia. Please pray for my safety as I truly embark on my journey to Africa. I am still getting to know the people within my group and will update you guys about my group members soon along with the specific projects that my group will be doing this summer. Until next time...God bless!
-John Kim
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Why are you only hanging out with Asian people?
ReplyDeletePlease...we had this converstaion already.
Don't wear yourself too out the first day. That flight and land travel time is really going to hit you hard I would think the first couple of days. Make sure you drink lots of water and don't overreact to everything you see new.
Skip the dumb flight movies and get some shut eye. Did you bring long socks and shorts?
I hope you ended up buying that lab coat or brought a supplment apron like we talked about. :D
MINSOOOOOOOOO!!!
ReplyDeleteHOW COME U HAVENT POSTED ANY PICTURES YET?!??!
I WANNA SEE NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( and you're girl friends hehehehhe!