Hello guys! I’m enjoying Africa more and more. There’s always something to do here. And the medical aspect of things is pretty cool to see. I’m not too sure when my next blog will be so enjoy this one because it might take me a week to write the next one…
June 23, 2009
Africa is so hot! I’ve never sweated so much. I literally sweat a gallon’s worth. The first thing I do when I wake up is chug a bottle of water. Hospital orientation will start tomorrow and I’m really looking forward to it. This evening we went to Robert Deflavio’s shop to just chit chat. In the Gambia, hours and hours are spent just chit chatting with the neighbours. The people here are so relaxed and calm. They are never in a hurry. For dinner we ate this odd fish sandwich and then I played games with some of the kids, in particular Moru and Bintu. Overall I’m enjoying myself more and more. I’m no longer looking at the negative sides of Africa, but rather the positives. It definitely helps that there are nine other group members that are going through the same experience…
June 24, 2009
Today Mr. Baji gave us a warm welcome and officially gave us an orientation. We met most of the staff members at the Hospital and acquainted ourselves with every department. I am really looking forward to working with the people here and observing the many medical treatments provided in this hospital. Oh, also today I finally received my “Gambian name” . It is Laman. :D Starting tomorrow, I will be working in the maternity ward, the following week I’ll be working with outpatient or inside the laboratory! :D
June 25, 2009
As I walk into the maternity ward to find Tammy, my fellow crossroader, I hear small whispers coming from a dark room. I open the curtains and stumble myself into the room. At once I could sense the gravity of the situation. Tammy was holding the flash light, while two nurses were taking care of a fragile body – Kodou Sallah. She has given birth to a 3 kg baby and was now in the process of giving afterbirth. I was so shocked by how weak she was. Her blood pressure was merely 60/40 (far below an average blood pressure of 120/80 *if my memory serves me right :P*) I was saddened by how weak she was and that the nurses were absolutely helpless. The only option available was to wait and hope that she got better. Things like this make me feel as if life is so unfair. I realize more and more as the day goes on, how lucky I am to be born in a country called America…
June 26, 2009
Today I got to see a patient give birth. Wait, I ALMOST got to see a patient give birth… :/ The patient was in labour for 3 hours and I had to leave for 30 minutes to attend our group meeting. And when I came back the mother had already delivered the baby. I was 15 minutes shy… how unfortunate… *sigh* After working in the hospital (we work from 8:00 am to 2:00 pm), I did my laundry. I really hate doing manual labor… haha Around 5ish our group went to the soccer field to play soccer with the Mofinga’s (people in the village) and oh my oh my… we got powned. People here are so GOOD at soccer. I’ve never seen such fast sprinters and amazing ball movement… I was completely exhausted after the game…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

hey laman~
ReplyDeletewhen will i be receiving my post card? eh? hehe
dude... that sucks! i would be sooooo sad if i missed a birth bc of a team meeting... LAME!
miracle of life > meetings... -_-!! lol
well laman i hope to hear from you again soon!!!! miss you!
Dear Son:
ReplyDeleteI am pleased at the news that you are getting better and better over there. I have been there almost 40 years ago in Vietnam. I know that you have lots of difficulties and everything is very hard but you tried to positively deal with these problems and I think you will get over these obstacles. I am proud of your attitude. Here Texas is extremely hot these days. They say temparture is over 105,this is new record in June since last 1934. James is very busy these days. He will take the important exam on July 1st. After exam he will be here a few days and back to Dallas and moving to rental house with his friends. Today we went to Houston for shopping. Mom bought a night gown but she did not realized that she brought the wrong size until she checked it at home. I bought two T-shirts. If you like them you may tkae it because you are everything to me. Always be careful about your health and safety over there.
Nobody knows when accident will happen.
God bless you lovely John.
Dad.
john!! follow meeeeee
ReplyDeletehttp://stinapieee.blogspot.com/
praying for ya jk! may you be continually humbled! i hope you don't drop anything on a patient b/c your hands are slippery/sweaty =)
ReplyDeleteLaman,
ReplyDeleteWhat does, "Laman," mean in Gambia? Who named you and did the person choose, "Laman," for you? Do you look like a, "Laman?"
I'm halfway done with my own internship so hopefully we can swap notes when you get back though you're having a more awesome time.
What exactly is the nature of your work and how's the project coming along?
Don't follow Christina.