Saturday, June 13, 2009

Final Preparations

The day has finally come. Tomorrow, I will be leaving to New York to attend orientation. Honestly, it never really hit me until the other day that I'm actually going to Africa. I'm actually doing this. Wow. I'm mixed with feelings of excitement and anticipation. Adrenaline is rushing through my veins at just the thought of going to Africa.

Africa... one of the first thoughts that come into mind when I hear the word Africa are people living in poverty stricken conditions. Running water, electricity, air conditioners, cars, bathrooms, internet, and so many other things that we take for granted are probably not prevalent in Africa. The economy is probably unstable, they probably have a poor education system, and an inadequate health care system. In fact, infectious diseases, such as malaria, that are mostly eradicated in most parts of the world are still an every day reality in Africa.

But I look forward to going to Africa. I want to escape the burrow of comfort I am surrounded in. I want to learn from people who do not have these luxuries (that I often times take for granted), but lead joyous and full-filling lives. Perhaps, I'm embarking on this journey to discover something new and profound about myself and life as a whole. Regardless, I look forward in facing the challenges and obstacles that are awaiting for me... Africa, here I come!

2 comments:

  1. I AM SO EXCITED!!!

    MINSOO MAKE A LOT OF FRIENDS!!!
    88
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/GA.htm

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambia

    http://www.gambia.gm/

    ReplyDelete
  2. keke i wish i could be there with you john.. seems like a great opportunity to open our eyes and see whats really outside of our little bubble... nicragua was one thing... but africa is another. i wish you the best and keep updating us!!!!!!! :)

    aja aja hwaiting!!!!!!

    (sorry this isnt "14" kekeke)

    ReplyDelete