Friday, July 17, 2009

Hospital Work...

So this past week I was assigned in outpatient. I've seen a lot of patients with many different types of skin infection. Most people here tend to get some sort of bacterial infection mainly because they don't take showers. It's very disheartening to see these patients especially when such a simple thing as a shower can prevent the patients from getting an infection.

On Wednesday (July 15, 2009) we attended a baby naming ceremony. It's part of an African culture. Every time a family has a new born baby, there's a huge celebration. Music blasting from the speakers, children dancing (btw people here are amazing at dancing), and food served all day long. It's really fun to attend. Dancing, eating, and chit chatting with the village people. :D

On Thursday (July 16, 2009) we had a celebration at the hospital. In the year 2006, a fellow crossroader named Catherine Cunningham, was so disheartened to see the electricity go off in the middle of surgery within the hospital. After coming back to the states she has visited many universities and companies to talk to professors, politicians, and businessmen. From her hard work effort she has raised $300,000 to install a solar panel in the hospital. Through the solar panel, the hospital is now capapble of having electricity all day long without worrying about the power cutting off. Today we officially celebrated the solar panel and had a huge festival. I was amazed at the fact that Catherine, a 20 year old college student could raise so much money. She really inspired me to do something special w/ my life as well.

This coming weekend we will be going to Senegambia (a more developed city) to relax and chill by the beach side. We'll be eating some good American food, so I'm really looking forward to it! I'll try to update you guys soon, until next time... God bless!

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of good American food, if you find an Oasis restaraunt over there, DO NOT GO TO IT. OVERPRICED AND BAD SERVICE FOR BAD FOOD.

    I think people who go on mission trips and volunteer trips like the one you are on give you an opportunity to look at what is missing, compared to what we have in the United States. I have come to believe that it is not the place of every man to change everything, and the most effective way is for everyone to choose an aspect they want to change and make it happen. Hopefully you'll find something you can be inspired to work for.

    My work is like that right now. As much as I wish I could change conditions for everyone, it seems that what I can do, and do effectively, is to help a special specific group.

    Maybe one day, we can be like presidents and try to make broad sweeping changes that are needed in this world, but for now, where we are, let's do what we can in areas that we can make a difference in.

    Question: not that I'm planning on sending you anything, but if I do send something to the address you shared, are you going to receive it? It seems like you're traveling all the time.

    AND I KNOW YOU TRIED TO TALK TO SARAH ON FACEBOOK BUT NOT ME EVEN THOUGH I WAS ONLINE TOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. john john! go get some dance lessons! hehehhe ;P

    ReplyDelete